Sunday, October 21, 2007

Transformers - G1 - Decepticons Headmasters

Marvel Comics - Transformers Headmasters


Transformers Headmasters is a very interesting concept that was introduced in both the US and Jap TV series as well as Marvel Comics.. However, each had their own take on the whole introduction and evolution of this concept.

Marvel Comics - Transformers Headmaster #1 (1987)


I first came across the Transformers Headmasters back in 1987 when Marvel Comics released a 4 part mini series which got me hooked on a whole new generation of Transformers toys and extra playability in terms of the toys. I can't really recall much about the difference between the Season 4, 3 part series - "The Rebirth" and the 4 part "Headmasters" mini series by Marvel Comics. But there are a few distinct differences that i still remembers clearly...

1. Fortress Maximus wasn't built by Spike in Nebulos (Compared to the US Season 4 animated version to that of Marvel Comics version), nor was he the original Headmaster for Fort Max. The original Headmaster to "Cerebros" was the Nebulan leader "Galen" which in turn makes "Cerebros","Fort Max" Headmaster.

2. The comics series did not introduce Arcee as a Headmaster like she did in the 3 part Season 4 series - "The Rebirth".

3. The Nebulans introduced in Marvel Comics were more like Earth inhabitants with similar skin tones n features... whereas the US Season 4 Nebulans have green skin tones indicating and differentiating them as aliens n Nebulans.

To read more about the history behind, Transformers Headmasters.. pls proceed to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers_Headmasters

Transformers Season 4 Opening


Back in the late 80's everything was substantially slow by atleast a year or two, So naturally..i only caught wind of the existence of Season 4 around 1990. A friend of mine had bought the video tape of "Transformers - The Rebirth" and was happily parading it in front of me. taunting me by telling me about how awesome the 3 part series is. I practically had to beg him to get him to lend it to me... I am sure i had to do something unimaginable only to get my friend to lend it to me LOL.. But it was well worth the effort :P

Sure enough... the show kick major @$$!!! Not only were the Headmasters introduced in the show... the Targetmasters are there as well!! Other new characters were also introduced... like the Throttlebots, the clones and Punch/Counterpunch to name but a few. Oddly enough.. Arcee was drafted into the ranks of the Headmasters with Spike's son, Daniel as her Headmaster.

I'm not sure how the story goes for the Jap "Headmasters" anime series goes as i am incredibly disgusted with it when i got a set of the series back in 2001 and watched it. Listening to the incredibly cheesy voice over and dialog simply turned me off. Hence, ever since then...i am not a big fan of Jap inspired Transformers anime.

Transformers G1 Horrorcons Commercial


OK.. now let's get to the toys. As expected... toys are introduced to accompany the Headmasters and Targetmasters concept from both the comics and animated series. The tag line had also changed from "Transformers - More Than Meets The Eye" to Transformers - More... Much More Than Meets the Eye on the toy catalog for the US Season 4 characters as well as the Jap Headmasters series.

Transformers Catalog - Decepticons (1987)


The Headmasters toys, although typically blockish in looks like most G1 Vintage Transformers toys, was a fresh addition to it's playability. So without further ado... i will now talk about the Decepticons Headmasters toys in my possession and the fun memories i have of them :)

Decepticon Headmaster Horrorcons - Snapdragon




Decepticon Horrorcons Headmaster "Snapdragon" with Headmaster "Krunk" - I first came across this toy around 1988/89. It belonged to a classmate of mine who had brought it to school to show it off for all to see. As usual.. being the kid of a below average income parents.. all i could do was just sit at a corner and look at the toy from a distance. I'm not sure about the details of it all.. but somehow, that classmate borrowed this toy to me. That means.. i get to bring it home and play with it for a few days. I'm not sure how things work nowadays.. but back in the 80's.. borrowing a toy to a friend is as good as money or a binding contract of friendship!!! LOL.

Anyhow, after playing with it for a few days, i had to return the toy back to my classmate. Upon returning the toy to it's rightful owner... i guessed i must have looked rather sad n immensely pathetic becoz my classmate took one look at me and said..."You look SAD... Keep the toy" and just walked off. Now, i have come a long way since then and would never let myself be so pathetic... but back then, it was a totally different story. Who cares if i was treated like a beggar in some alley... I got myself a SNAPDRAGON toy for FREE!!! This was one such example of my TF toys being a "Charity Projects" of my wealthier friends. But alas.. i gave it away along with my other TF toys to my cuz in 1990.

Fast Forward to 2003, It was my Birthday and i decided to treat myself by getting myself a vintage MISB Snapdragon from a fellow TF collector and friend. My friend is pretty notorious for being able to track down just about any vintage G1 TF toys around. Since i was sick of E-baying by then... i decided to get it from him instead. However, when i brought the figure back with me and opened up the figure... i noticed that although it appeared to be MISB, the figures have got very fine scratches on the figure. ( Yes... i do open up my toys.. even if it's "Vintage".. GASP!!! Hehehe ) Not so much as a deep scratch, but rather like what u would see if u were to scratch a toy with ur fingernails a few times. I m certain that the fig had been doctored and tampered with before reaching the hands of my friend who had sold it to me. Hence nowadays, i would never buy a vintage TF toy that comes with boxes... bcoz i am not about to pay a small fortune for it only to find out that it's been tampered with b4 -_-*

I'm currently still hunting down Snapdragon's partner in crime.. the Decepticon Headmaster Horrorcon "Apeface".. This bugger have been eluding me for almost 8 yrs now and i have sworn to get this particular piece even if i have to kill someone for it LOL

Decepticon Headmaster - Mindwipe




Decepticon Headmaster - Skullcruncher




Decepticon Headmaster - Weirdwolf




Decepticon Headmaster "Mindwipe" with Headmaster "Vorath".
Decepticon Headmaster "Skullcruncher" with Headmaster "Grax".
Decepticon Headmaster "Weirdwolf" with Headmaster "Monzo".

As a kid, i distinctively remember having both "Mindwipe" and "Skullcruncher" in my possession. Not sure how i came to own them back then...but they were all given away back in 1990 when i quit toys and went into collecting X-Men comics. It was the cool thing to do back then LOL. I never had a "Weirdwolf" toy though...

I manage to get hold of these 3 Headmasters figs complete with box and all for an incredibly cheap price back in 2003 on an online auction similar to that of E-bay. They are still with me up till this very day... Although, i could swear that i have got an extra Mindwipe stashed somewhere in some boxes among my collection.. i must try to dig it out and perhaps sell or trade him off for any figure that i am still missing LOL.

I don have much memory about these guys except that i remember that i really like playing with Skullcruncher.. and becoz of that misplaced memory.. i seems to have a stronger sentimental bond with that toy :P

Decepticon Jr Headmasters - Fangry




Decepticon Jr Headmaster "Fangry" with Headmaster "Brisko" - The Jr Headmasters were never introduced in the US series, but were pretty much regulars in the Jap's "Headmasters" or "Masterforce" series. Not quite sure which since i wasn't a fan of the series at all.

Anyhow... i never got the Jr Headmasters toys as a kid, so when i saw "Fangry" being sold in a local toy shop, i had to get him. But not without much self debating whether or not to get it. That's becoz it was selling for quite a hefty sum and the toy is considerably small. i finally bought it one day while passing by the toy shop again. It had more to do with me having nothing new to buy that day, rather than me going over to the shop specifically to buy it. I am a firm believer of fate.. if something is fated to be yours.. it will be yours in due time. Since i have been wanting to get this toy for over a period of 6 mths and it's still there in the shop..it seems like it's waiting for me to own it... now how could i resist FATE? LOL

Decepticon Jr Headmasters - Squeezeplay




Decepticon Jr Headmaster "Squeezeplay" with Headmaster "Lokos" - This too was a toy that i had never owned before as a kid and it was a treat finally holding him in my hands. I got this baby on the same online aution site as i did the original Decepticons Headmasters toys. Unfortunately, this is an incomplete figure... missing it's weapon. What pisses me off is that, the person who sold this to me actually have another complete figure of this toy but he had not put it up for auction until he had sold this to me. Nonetheless.. this is my fav among the three Decepticons jr Headmasters toys.

I am curently still missing the 3rd Decepticon Jr Headmaster "Horribull" and i am still hunting this particular piece to complete off my Decepticons Headmasters Collections :p

Cheers!!!
N_M

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i have an
Decepticon Headmaster Horrorcon Apeface


you can email me to talk about it post a comment it will send it to me